Do you sell alcohol, tobacco or marijuana? We're sure you paid a lot to get your state license, and to sell your product to a minor could really damage your business.
Most businesses unfortunately still manually check IDs like it's 1980. The five biggest mistakes people make when checking IDs are:
- Since there is a hologram the drivers license is real. It is super easy to create holograms with a cheap printer. It is much harder to recreate a real barcode or magnetic stripe.
- Not questioning the patron about info on his drivers license (i.e. zip code, how to spell one's street).
- Not having a legal record of checking the ID. Manually checking an ID gives you no legal record of checking one's ID. Scanning an ID gives you that legal record.
- Not checking everyone's drivers license. Why would you not check everyone's ID? What is the harm?
- I've never served a minor before, it won't happen in the future. Wishful thinking! We get tons of calls from people because they got a ticket. Being proactive is much better than being reactive.
Is your business making some or all of the above ID checking mistakes?
Return to Blog